Captain BRUCE CHARD
Captain Bruce’s love and commitment to the sport of fly fishing is shown through his accomplishments within the fly fishing industry. Ever since discovering his obsession for fly fishing in his teens, Bruce knew he would turn it into his lifelong career. No time was wasted after graduating high school – he quickly started his fly fishing guiding business in the Florida Keys. Fueled by passion and determination, Bruce has become a successful, full-time Florida Keys fly fishing flats guide, with over 25 years of experience and counting. Specializing in sight fishing for bonefish, tarpon, and permit, Bruce has not only become one of the most sought after fly fishing guides in all of the Florida Keys, but also one of the top saltwater fly casting instructors in the industry.
At the young age of 23, Bruce worked hard to become a Master Certified International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Casting Instructor. He then started what has become one of the most popular international saltwater fly fishing schools in the industry. Locations of Bruce’s schools include popular saltwater fly fishing destinations within Belize, Mexico, Guatemala, the Bahamas, and the Florida Keys.
Bruce has had the opportunity to establish a working relationship with many of the largest companies in the fly fishing industry. Currently, Bruce is fortunate enough to be one of the top saltwater members of the Simms Pro Fishing Team. Bruce also represents other top fly fishing industry manufactures as an advisory staff member for Airflo Fly Lines, Clutch Rods, Costa Glasses, Gamakatsu Hooks, Hatch Reels, Yellow Dog Fly Fishing Adventures, and Yeti Coolers.
When it comes to saltwater fly line designs, it’s hard to beat the popular Chard Saltwater Taper. This industry award winning Chard Line won the “Best of Show Award” at the 2013 International Fly Tackle Dealer Show in Las Vegas. The very popular Chard Saltwater Taper was originally developed for the Teeny Line company over 15 years ago and has since been offered by Scientific Anglers as the SA Grand Slam Chard Line. It is now distributed by Airflo as the top selling saltwater fly line – “Bruce Chard Tropical Punch Line”. This uniquely designed line taper has helped anglers of all levels increase their catch ratios since its inception.
When Bruce isn’t guiding full-time on the water, you can find him either hosting his personal saltwater fly casting schools at the Blackfly Lodge in Abaco Bahamas, hosting adventure fly fishing trips around the world, or giving popular saltwater fly fishing presentations at fly shops, fly clubs, and fly shows around the country.
oYou can also find Bruce within the fly fishing media world with many annual published articles in Fly Fisherman Magazine aa well as many different online blogs and social media sites.
- IFFF Master Certified Fly Casting Instructor
- Previous American Fly Fishing Trade Association Board Member – AFFTA
- Featured Angler in the full length fly fishing film “RISE” by Confluence Films
- Featured with son and guide, B.J., in Fly Fishing for Tarpon for “The Outfitters” which aired on the Sportsman Channel
- Guest Host on “Seasons on the Fly” Fly Fishing TV show on NBC Sports/Discovery Channel
- Fly Fisherman Magazine Salt Water Contributor -over 5 published articles within the last year
- Designed and created a full line of Bruce Chard Professional Series Airflo Tropical Punch Saltwater Fly Lines – winning best of show award at 2013 IFTD show
- Has been featured on the cover of 18 different high profile fly fishing magazines
- Featured in over 6 Grays Sporting Journals photo essays over the past 15 years
- Salt-water Contributor for Gink & Gasoline – one of the top fly fishing blogs in the industry
- Currently has first fly fishing book contract with Stackpole publishing
- Has fly fished in over 10 different countries world wide
Bruce resides in the Lower Florida Keys with his wife Sara and son B.J. who is following in his dad’s footsteps as a fly fishing guide in the Florida Keys and around the world.